Thursday, April 2, 2009

A movie I'm REALLY looking forward to this summer

Public Enemies

Staying on the topic of gangster movies, there is one coming out this summer that I am pretty psyched about. It's the new Michael Mann film and it's called Public Enemies. It's starring Johnny Depp and Christian Bale, and is about John Dillinger's gang and the founding of the FBI.

OK, so first off, it's a gangster movie, and I'm a pretty huge fan of the genre.

Second, it's directed by Michael Mann, who is a pretty wicked director. His movies haven't all been the best, but for the most part they rule. Heat and The Insider are both masterpieces and modern American classics. The big bank heist in Heat is probably the best robbery sequence ever put on film. Virtually every line of dialogue delivered in that movie, especially by DeNiro, Pacino, Kilmer, Sizemore and a few of the other bad dudes, is the coolest crap ever. Also, now that I think about, Val Kilmer is a ridiculously sick actor. Like, him in Heat, Tombstone and that Madmartigan movie, are you kidding me? So sick.

Kilmer is a beast in this movie

Why isn't he used more?! Him and Micheal Keaton. Those two should do a movie together. Two really sick actors whose careers were unjustly killed by Batman films. But anyway, back to Michael Mann. I also REALLY liked Collateral. I never did see Miami Vice though, but it received some pretty mediocre reviews, so it sounded like it was a let down. I still want to see it though. I also haven't seen all of Ali yet. But what I have seen I haven't really liked. But anyway, the point is Michael Mann can be as sick as any other director living when he decides to be.

Third, the story. John Dillinger is one of the all-time most notorious and popular U.S. criminals. And, while I haven't seen the previous films about him, my understanding (from my Leonard Maltin guide) is that they are decent but not the best. So by my estimation, Hollywood is due to make a really sick Dillinger movie.

Fourth, just look at this poster:

Oh baby!

Fifth, it has some pretty strong actors in it. Johnny Depp is Dillinger, and while I'm not a die hard J. Depp fan like some, I understand why people love him so much. He never really phones in a performance. He always goes all the way with whatever character he creates. As for Christian Bale, who plays the main FBI dude, I used to really like him, especially after American Psycho. I thought he was one of the best young actors around. Lately though I've grown a little cold to him. First, his Batman voice sucks. Second, he is participating in the new Terminator, which, mark my words, will suck BIG TIME. Any movie directed by a guy who calls himself "McG" is guaranteed to be a steaming pile of poo. And, seriously, The Terminator is and always will be James Cameron's baby, even if he did abandon it. Another dude making a Terminator sequel, is like another filmmaker coming along and taking over for Lucas to do episodes VII, VIII and IX...

Actually...

That sounds like a pretty AWESOME idea! Someone should do that. I nominate either Guillermo Del Toro, Christopher Nolan or Alfonso Cuaron. Do you remember when the prequels were first announced and George said he'd probably just direct the first one and get other directors to do II and III? Then all these amazing directors were making statements saying they would LOVE to be able to direct II or III. If I remember correctly, Spielberg, Tarantino and bunch of others practically begged Lucas to let them make one. And, seriously, why the hell didn't he force Lawrence Kasdan to write the screenplays?! What was he thinking?! Same with the new Indiana Jones. Where the hell was Kasdan?! And Spielberg should have directed Episode I. No one directs child actors like Spielberg. A lot of people blame Jake Lloyd for being such a douche in it, but I don't. I mean, he was just a kid. Outside of Shirley Temple, Jodie Foster and Haley Joel Osment, child actors can't act worth shit. It is entirely up to the director to get a good performance out of a kid. Just look at a movie like The Shining. That kid who played Danny wasn't even an actor. He never acted before The Shining and he hasn't really acted in anything since. It was all Kubrick knowing how to suck a good performance out of him. Same with Aliens. Newt never acted before or since either, and she stole the show. If Spielberg directed Lloyd he would have had the audience bawling when he left his mom on Tatooine to go with Qui-Gon. Damn it Lucas!

Wait, what was this post about? ... Oh yeah, sick new gangster movie from Michael Mann. Go check out the trailer...

http://www.publicenemies.net/

3 comments:

  1. That kid Danny from the Shining should have been nominated for an Oscar. So sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post not only because it totally derails into a rant about Star Wars, but also because it told me about a movie I will now FOR SURE see.

    Oh also, no one works with Val Kilmer anymore because he is a total whack-job.

    Finally, I enjoy that on your blog 2 or 3 out of the 5 posts have mentioned Willow in some way. Willow: the all time litmus test if a movie is good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the matchup between Johnny Depp and Christian Bale will be one for the books. Two of the best actors around.

    And, as big a fan as I've been of Terminator (with the exception of "Rise of the Machines"),I'm really looking forward to seeing Bale play John Conner. He's one of the few actors around who can really breathe life into any role he plays.

    ReplyDelete