Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Criminially Underrated Gangster Picture

GP Rental Pick for the Week ending March 28, 2009:

State of Grace
(#63 on my all-time favorite films list)


Would you be interested in seeing a tough, intelligent, well-made gangster movie about the Irish mob in New York, starring Sean Penn, Ed Harris, John Turturro, Robin Wright, John C. Reilly and Gary Oldman (in one his sickest performances ever)? I assume your answer is "HECK YES!". Well that movie exists and it's called State of Grace.

Right now you may be thinking: "Whoa! Hold on, wait a sec! How have I have never seen or heard of this movie?!" The reason why you may never have heard of this picture is primarily because it had the misfortune of being released on September, 14, 1990. "So? What's the big deal?" you may ask. Well, precisely 5 days later Martin Scorsese released a little known film called GOODFELLAS. So before State of Grace had time to find an audience, Goodfellas quickly came by and crushed it, and it hasn't really found an audience since. Other than my brother, who told me about this movie, I have yet to meet anyone who has seen it -- not counting the people I've made watch it.

Now, State of Grace is no Goodfellas (along with the first 2 Godfathers, Goodfellas is hands down the greatest gangster flick of them all), but in terms of the second tier of really good gangster movies (like Once Upon a Time in America, Donnie Brasco, A Bronx Tale, King of New York) it is one of the best and an absolute must see.

State of Grace is about a guy from the neighborhood (the guy being Sean Penn and the neighborhood being Hell's Kitchen), who left town many years ago, no one really knew why, be he suddenly returns and wants a job. The real deal is: he left to become a cop and has come back undercover to infiltrate a crime syndicate of which his best friend's brother is head of the Irish gang. His best friend is Jackie Flannery, played by Gary Oldman, and Jackie's brother is Frankie, played by Ed Harris.

Does this story sort of sound familiar? Irish mob, undercover cop from the neighborhood -- any of this ringing a bell? It sure did for me back when I first read about an upcoming film called The Departed. I was like, "What?! Scorsese is ripping off State of Grace. What the hell?!". Luckily, Scorsese is the greatest director in Earth's history and wouldn't do such a thing. That is why The Departed is completely amazing in its own way; it just happens to have a plot that is remotely similar to State of Grace's.

Now, almost every performance in this film is off the charts, but Gary Oldman is friggin' insane. This is my absolute favorite Gary Oldman performance. After I first saw this, I watched it like 10 times in 2 weeks and wanted to grow my hair long, swear constantly, take up smoking and become an alcoholic, just like Jackie Flannery. He is so sick. Like, the whole movie is pretty awesome, but the reason I keep going back to this movie is Gary Oldman.

Ed Harris is also really good, but he always is. You really despise him in this movie. He is a scum bag.

****** Review Intermission ******

Speaking of scum bags, I can't begin to describe how disappointed I was to learn Chris Bosh is one. I will never wear his jersey again. The Raptors can't trade him soon enough.

****** End of Intermission ******

Sean Penn, meanwhile, represents one of the film's few dark spots. In my opinion, he kind of sucks in this movie. Now, I respect Sean Penn and have been blown away by many of his performances (as David Kleinfeld in Carlito's Way and, most recently, as Harvey Milk in Milk, for instance). But, for some reason, I just don't find him believable in this role for most of the movie. I don't know if he overacts a bit or what, but something about his performance just doesn't feel right to me. Luckily though, it's not bad enough to ruin the film by any means.

Just look at Sean Penn here. Even in this still photo he's overacting.

This flick also has some pretty sweet fights and kills for you fans of gratuitous mafia violence. Plus Robin Wright is very attractive in it. It's also pretty funny -- again, thanks to Gary Oldman being the coolest whack-job criminal ever. Also, Burgess Meredith ("You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!") makes a surprise appearance in a sad, rather touching scene.

OK, I'm done talking about this movie. Just go watch it already and tell your friends.

PS. You better have known that that Burgess Meredith quote was from Rocky. If you didn't, go watch Rocky again before you watch this.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of this segment and will rent this movie when I get a chance. Or borrow it from you.

    ReplyDelete