Thursday, March 19, 2009

DVDs for sale!

I went through my movie collection the other day and pulled out all the duplicate DVDs I have and was wondering if anyone would be interested in purchasing them for the bargain price of 5 bucks? All the movies are in pristine condition, as I treat all my films as if they were one of a kind.

The only reason I'm getting rid of them is because either (1) Maureen also owns the movie, so now that we're married we have two (2) I now own it on Blu-Ray (so sick) or (3) I own a fancier Special Edition of it.

And, in the spirit of Lent, all the money from the sale of these classics will go to charity. So it's like you're getting a free movie for donating $5 to charity. You can't lose!

So the pictures up for grabs are:

The Shining
It gets better every time you watch it, so what better way to watch it again and again!

Almost Famous: The Bootleg Cut
This is the fancy 2-disc special edition that even includes a Stillwater CD. It has both the original version and the 3 hour bootleg cut. If you love this movie, the bootleg cut is definitely worth watching. While I still prefer the theatrical cut, everything that was cut out is really good. There are no terrible scenes where you're like "Ugh, no wonder they cut that!".

Rio Bravo
A really good classic Western, starring John Wayne and Dean Martin. Directed by the great Howard Hawks. It is one of John Carpenter and Quentin Tarantino's favorite films of all-time.

Still not sold? Well here is a piece of IMDb trivia that may persuade you:
Quentin Tarantino has said that before he enters into a relationship with a girl, he always shows her 'Rio Bravo' and if she doesn't like it, there is no relationship.

When Harry Met Sally...
How can anyone not like this movie? I really like it even though I think Rob Reiner hacked quite a bit from Woody Allen.

The Wild Bunch
The meanest, toughest and best Western ever made. This movie was made for men like no other movie before or since. Sissies are not welcome.

"If they move... kill'em!"

Still not sold? Well here is a piece of IMDb trivia that may persuade you:
Body count: 145

Mean Streets

My 5th favorite movie of all-time. Scorsese and De Niro's big breakthough. A wholly original film. It has a slower pace than Scorsese's subsequent work, but is still immensely entertaining.

The Passion of the Christ
Just in time for Easter!

Scarface
Weird how when I first saw this when I was 12, no one seemed to have heard of it. Now, more people under 30 have probably seen this than the Godfather. While some may find that disturbing, I don't really. As far as gangster movies go, I think it's on par with the Godfathers. If Godfather 1 & 2 and Goodfellas are 10s then Scarface is a 9.99.

3 comments:

  1. I'll take all of them except "The Passion of the Christ", "Almost Famous" and "WHMS."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take Almost Famous, and seriously I've never seen Mean Streets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, these babies went fast

    Andy, since Amber got first dibs on Mean Streets, you can borrow my other copy b/c you really do need to see it

    ReplyDelete